Fr Murphy's Hurling Club Notes

Fr Murphy's Hurling Club Notes

home / news / Fr Murphy's Hurling Club Notes

Fr Murphy's Hurling Club Notes

April 19, 2012

FatherMurphy's Hurling Club Notes

Everyoneinvolved with Father Murphy's GAA Club would like to extend their deepestsympathies and heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of CathalForde and Marion Naughton. May they Rest In Peace.







Father Murphy'shurling report 31st March - McCullagh Cup vs John Mitchells


Father Murphy's started their hurling season last Saturday with asolid win against the John Mitchells from Birmingham. Although the opposingteam were missing a few key players, the Fr. Murphy's agreed to play 13 a-sideand play for the points on offer. So no walkover was conceded by JohnMitchells.


Father Murphy's were sluggish and lethargic in the opening 10minutes and found themselves 0-2 to 0-0 down, all credit going to the muchsharper Mitchells with two nicely taken points. Murphy's eased themselves backinto the game with 4 unanswered points two from Joe Coleman (1 free), one from ShayO'Donoughe and one from Michael Lismore. With the last 5 in the half to playthe Mitchells replied with a nice point from 40 yards on the right wing.Murphy's were finally getting a grip on the game especially in the middle withKenny Watchthorn and Graeme Power sweeping up. Meanwhile Gus Daly was causingall sorts of problems for the Mitchells defence.


A quick-fire 1-3 in the last four minutes of the half, Joe Colemanwith a point another pointed free, Sean Howlin pointing a Coleman lay-off. MichaelLismore added a fine solo point before Pat Greene, the Murphy's stalwart of somany years, rounded the full back to blast into the net.

At the half time whistlethe Murphy's were leading 1-07 to 0-4.


The whistle for the start of the second half brought a morecomfortable opening ten minutes for the Murphy's than that in the first half;Murphy's mustering 2-4 with Mitchells adding 0-1 to their tally. MichaelLismore converted two quick fire goals after sweeping moves out of the Murphy'shalf back line. Joe Coleman added another free; Graeme Power chipped in with a50 yard point, and Sean Howlin converted a 65 yard free. Substitute StephenDevine blasted over after a storming 30 yard run.


The half back line of James Kennedy, Patrick Waters and SeanHowlin were solid throughout letting little supply into the Mitchells forwards.Darren Howlin was ever present at full-back mopping up what little ballbreached the resolute half back line.


With 15 minutes to go Murphy's manager Jimmy Howlin rang thechanges with the introduction of some fresh forwards in the shape of EndaRoche, Gerry Rowley and Dave Higgins. Enda Roche made his mark immediatelycollecting a long free out of the Murphy's back line and blazing the ball intothe roof of the net. Sean Howlin then found Roche again in space, before Rocheturned sharply to point. After a good clearance out of the Mitchells defencePatrick Waters was adjudged to have fouled Mitchells full forward and a 21 yardfree was awarded only for Tom Moore to pull off an excellent save in theMurphy's goal.


The final minutes saw the introduction of minor Conor Howlin andhe looks like one for the future showing some nice touches. Mitchells addedtheir final point of the game from a free before Murphy's wrapped things upwith 4 more unanswered points Ken Watchthron shooting over, G. Power adding hissecond of the day, Dave Higgins delicate shot was on target before another SeanHowlin pointed 65 yard free. Final score Fr.Murphy's 4-15 John Mitchells 0-6.


T.Moore, P.Doyle, D.Howlin, S.Howlin (0-3, 2 65's), P.Waters,J.Kennedy, K.Watchthron (0-1), G.Power(0-2), M.Lismore (2-2), J.Coleman (0-3, 2frees), G.Daly, S.O'Donoughe 0-1, P.Green 1-0.

S.Devine (0-1) for S.O'Donoughe, E.Roche (1-1) for G.Daly, D.Higgins(0-1) for P.Greene, C.Howlin for J.Kennedy