Thomas McCurtains Hurling & Football Club Notes
September 27, 2017
Congratulations to the footballers who won the Junior Football Championship on Sunday defeating Dulwich Harps on a scoreline of 1-10 to 0-12. McCurtains started the brighter and opened up a two point lead in the first few minutes courtesy of Niall Coffey and Paddy Halligan but Dulwich came back into it and had a period of dominance scoring the next five in a row. The Macs were finding it hard to score and a series of wasteful wides was ended by Mark McGirr's first of the day from long range. Three more from McGirr and one from Halligan would leave it tied at six a piece before Harps got the last score of the first half to go in ahead by one at the break, Dulwich Harps: 0-07, Thomas McCurtains: 0-06.
There was nothing between the teams throughout the second half with the game being tied a total of four times with both teams enjoying a slender lead at times. Before a moment of brilliance from McGirr as he took on his man 30 yards out and shot it to the back of the net to leave three between them. Dulwich did not lie down though and pressed on the attack drawing two frees from the Macs defence which they duly put over. But that was it and McCurtains showed great game management in seeing out the game and kept the ball for the final minutes to snuff out any chance of a comeback.
Commiserations to Dulwich Harps who played a fantastic game. We wish them the best of luck next year.
THOMAS MCCURTAINS: C. Mulrennan; M. O'Leary, C. Smyth, T. Lynagh; K. Delahunty, B. Hourihane, R. Ellis; P. O'Neill, T. Clarke (0-1); M. McGirr (1-4), N. Coffey (0-3), S. Quinn; P. Halligan (0-2), C. Murphy, J. Winters.
SUBS: G. Flynn for O'Neill & J. Searson for Murphy, G. Gallagher for Halligan
Next Sunday the Ladies footballers play their final league game against Fr. Murphys in Greenford before the Hurlers play their Championship Final against Brothers Pearse in Ruislip. All club members are encouraged to get out and support them. We wish them all the best of luck.
Training (Click on team name for more info):
- Mens Football: Tuesday and Thursday at 7.00pm in Goodmayes.
- Mens Hurling: Tuesday and Thursday at 7.30pm in Goodmayes.
- Ladies Football: Tuesday at 6.45 in Goodmayes.
- Camogie: No training this week.
- Underage: Hurling, Monday at 6.45pm in Goodmayes.
- Football, Tuesday in Thurrock RFC & Wednesday in Goodmayes both at 6.45pm.
- Ladies Football: Senior League - Thomas McCurtains v Fr. Murphys, Sunday 1st October 2017 at 11.00am, Greenford.
- Mens Hurling: Intermediate Hurling Championship Final - Thomas McCurtains v Brothers Pearse, Sunday 1st October 2017 at 3.00pm, Ruislip.
- Mens Football: Junior/Inter Football Play-Off - Thomas McCurtains v Cu Chulainns, Saturday 7th October 2017, Time and Venue TBC.
- Mens Football: Junior Football Championship Final - Thomas McCurtains: 1-10, Dulwich Harps: 0-12
New players are always very welcome to join our friendly club. We have Gaelic Football & Hurling teams for both men and ladies from u-8s up to Adults. We are based in East London; the club covers a wide area and current players live in many different areas, including, Gants Hill, Woodford, Leyton, Leytonstone, Stratford, Romford, Dagenham, Brentwood & Chelmsford as well as many other areas. Transport to and from training and pick-up from stations can be arranged, if required.
If you would like to join our club, please do not hesitate to contact:
- Mens Football: Martin Keyes: 07712 106 349
- Mens Hurling: Brian Ryan: 07851 164 119
- Ladies Football: Deirdre McArdle: 07523 109 547
- Camogie: Eoin Kelly: 07729 746 052
- Underage: Martin McGovern: 07807 830 556
U8/10 Managers - Martin Healy 07854739585 and Denis Doherty 07958432835
U12 Managers - Marc Daily 07824 837952 and Tim Sullivan 07764 658350
U14 Managers - John Moran 07946 031883 and Tim Sullivan 07764 658350
Hurling Manager - Marc Daily 07824 837952
Thomas McCurtains GAA Club would welcome coaching support in local schools and our training sessions.
Please check out Thomas McCurtain’s on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram. Or drop us an email on email@example.com. We would be delighted to hear from you.