Thomas McCurtains GAA Club Notes
Thomas McCurtains GAA Club Notes
June 26, 2017
McCurtains continued their winning ways on the pitch this week. On Wednesday the Hurlers eventually claimed the 2015 League title after two years of waiting for the final to be played and the Camogs won their opening game in the British Championship, while on Thursday the Footballers beat Moindearg in the Mullarkey Cup Semi-Final. The Hurlers and Camogs then played again at the weekend with both picking up another win to add to their collection.
On Wednesday evening the hurlers played their long awaited 2015 League final in Scrubs. Some fantastic play by Joe Coulson and Alan Clancy in the first half set up McCurtains nicely going in at half time. Sean Murphy gave a man of the match performance from centre back while in the second half Joe McGuire and substitute Mark Russell played excellently. They followed up this performance on Saturday afternoon by returning to scrubs and defeating Fulham Irish to qualify for this years League final.
THOMAS MCCURTAINS: P. Looby; J. O'Donohue, B. Ryan, E. Breen; D. Corrigan, S. Murphy, C. Doyle; J. Byrne (0-02), D. Byrne (0-01); K. Dowling (0-01), J. McGuire (0-02), A. Clancy (0-02); J. Coulson (1-03), R. Carson (0-01), S. Smyth. SUBS: C. Grace for J. Byrne, L. O'Brien for Coulson and M. Russell (1-03) for Smyth.
Hurlers v Fr. Murphys - 2015 League Final - 21st June 2017
On Thursday afternoon it was back to scrubs as the footballers played their Mullarkey Cup Semi Final against Moindearg. McCurtains started the better with the wind and well taken points by Niall Coffey and Halligan saw them open up a 4 points to 2 lead. Moindearg responded well and helped by some sloppy play from the East London lads pulled ahead going into the break, Mark Barrett keeping the minimum between them.
Moindearg started the second half better and pulled further ahead but the Macs sstrenght in depth from the bench and superior fitness started to tell late on. The comeback started with a Jason Brennan point and was completed when Niall Coffey chipped the keeper to put McCurtains 4 ahead with Flynn and O'Neill adding the gloss on the scoreline.
THOMAS MCCURTAINS: C. Mulrennan; B. McNulty, C. Smyth, S. Conwell; M. O'Leary, B. Hourihane (0-01), S. Quinn; P. O'Neill (0-01), T. Clarke; J. Searson, N. Coffey (1-05), M. Barrett (0-04); T. Keane, G. Flynn (0-01), P. Halligan (0-02, 1f). SUBS: K. Delahunty for McNulty, P. O'Shea for Conwell, C. Joyce for Searson and J. Brennan (0-01) for Keane.
Footballers v Moindearg - Mullarkey Cup Semi-Final - 22nd June 2017
The Camogs matched the hurlers puck for puck on Wednesday with a fantastic one point win over Taras in the opening game of the British Intermediate Championship in Goodmayes. They then made the long trip down to Mitcham on Sunday morning to play Croydon. After a difficult first half the East London Ladies preformed well in the second and ran out winners by a goal.
The club are immensely proud to have had 5 of its members play inter-county football over the weekend. It was hard luck to Mark McGirr, who came on as a sub in the Seniors defeat to Carlow, and to Richard Ellis and Mark Gilsenan who were playing with the Junior team against Warwickshire. A huge congratulations must go to Finn O Sullivan and Rhys Cotter who lined out at Corner Forward and Mid Field respectively for the South London who won the All Ireland Div. 2 Feile in Monaghan over the weekend. South London have now won 5 All Irelands of which each time TMC players have been key players.
Finn O Sullivan and Rhys Cotter with the All-Ireland Division 2 Feile Trophy
Next week is possibly even busier with no less than six matches being played by our senior team across London and Birmingham. We wish all our teams the best of luck.
Training (Click on team name for more info):
- Mens Football: Tuesday and Thursday at 7.30pm in Goodmayes.
- Mens Hurling: Thursday only at 7.30pm in Goodmayes.
- Ladies Football: No training this week due to a mid week fixture.
- Camogie: No training this week due to a mid week fixture.
- Underage: Hurling, Monday at 6.45pm in Goodmayes.
Football, Tuesday in Thurrock RFC & Wednesday in Goodmayes both at 6.45pm.
- Ladies Football: Intermediate Championship - Thomas McCurtains v Parnells, Monday 26th June 2017 at 7.45pm, Goodmayes.
- Mens Hurling: McCullough Cup - Thomas McCurtains v Brothers Pearse, Tuesday 27st June 2017 at 7.15pm, Goodmayes.
- Camogie: Mid Week League - Thomas McCurtains v Croydon, Wednesday 28th June 2017 at 7.30pm, Mitcham.
- British Intermediate Championship - Thomas McCurtains v John Mitchells, Saturday 1st July 2017, Pairc Na hEireann, Birmingham.
- Mens Football: AIB Football League Division 3 - Thomas McCurtains v St Anthony's, Sunday 2nd July 2017 at 3.30pm, Scrubs.
- Ladies Football: Intermediate Championship - Thomas McCurtains v Round Towers, Sunday 2nd July 2017, Goodmayes.
- Mens Hurling: 2015 League Final - Thomas McCurtains: 2-15, Fr. Murphy's: 2-13
- AIB Hurling League Division 2 - Thomas McCurtains: 1-22, Fulham Irish: 1-07
- Mens Football: Mullarkey Cup SF - Thomas McCurtains: 1-15, Moindearg: 0-13
- Camogie: British Intermediate Championship - Thomas McCurtains: 4-05, Taras: 2-10
- British Intermediate Championship - Thomas McCurtains: 2-03, Croydon: 1-03
- Thomas McCurtains Club Fun Day - Saturday 15th July 2017, Goodmayes.
New players are always very welcome to join our friendly club. We have Gaelic Football & Hurling teams for both men and ladies from u-8s up to Adults. We are based in East London; the club covers a wide area and current players live in many different areas, including, Gants Hill, Woodford, Leyton, Leytonstone, Stratford, Romford, Dagenham, Brentwood & Chelmsford as well as many other areas. Transport to and from training and pick-up from stations can be arranged, if required.
If you would like to join our club, please do not hesitate to contact:
- Mens Football: Martin Keyes: 07712 106 349
- Mens Hurling: Brian Ryan: 07851 164 119
- Ladies Football: Deirdre McArdle: 07523 109 547
- Camogie: Eoin Kelly: 07729 746 052
- Underage: Martin McGovern: 07807 830 556
U8/10 Managers - Martin Healy 07854739585 and Denis Doherty 07958432835
U12 Managers - Marc Daily 07824 837952 and Tim Sullivan 07764 658350
U14 Managers - John Moran 07946 031883 and Tim Sullivan 07764 658350
Hurling Manager - Marc Daily 07824 837952
Thomas McCurtains GAA Club would welcome coaching support in local schools and our training sessions.
Please check out Thomas McCurtain’s on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram. Or drop us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be delighted to hear from you.