Thomas McCurtains Hurling & Football Club Notes
May 15, 2017
Our Hurlers played two and won two games this week. Tuesday evening in Scrubs saw a real test of mental strength. Going in 8 points to 5 down at half time in the Ronan Cup Quarter Final the lads kept Fulham Irish scoreless in the second half and won by the slimmest of margins 0-09 to 0-08. They then travelled to Watford to play St Declans at the opening of Glen Rovers new pitch which saw GAA President Aogán Ó Fearghaíl in attendance. They put on an inspired performance to get their league campaign off to a winning start.
The Footballers were looking to make it two wins from two in the league as the made their way south of the river to play Dulwich Harps. Playing with the wind in the first half it was a pretty even contest with both teams dominating for periods but it was Dulwich who managed to draw first blood and scored two fluke goals. However a fantastic turnover by James 'Hands' Searson on the 45m line saw him race clear of the chasing defenders and bury the ball in the back of net to leave a kick of the ball in it at half time, 2-05 to 1-05. McCurtains pressed on in the second half and nearly snatched it at the death. Conor Murphy was fouled out on the side line and he took a quick free into the parallelogram to find Richard Ellis unmarked. Ellis duly slotted it home to put McCurtains 2 points up with a minute to go. Alas the referee brought it back for the free to be retaken as it had been taken a couple of yards too far forward. The resulting free kick sailed wide giving Dulwich the victory.
THOMAS MCCURTAINS: C. Mulranen; S. Conwell, K. Delahunty, B. McNulty; R. Ellis, B. Hourihane (0-01), M. O'Leary; N. Coffey (0-02, 2f), T. Clarke (0-01); D. McNulty, J. Searson (1-00), M. Barrett; P. Halligan (0-03), C. Murphy, L. McNamara. SUBS: G. Flynn (0-01) for D, Mcnulty, M. McAuley for Delahunty, P. O'Neill (0-01) for McNamara.
Congratulations to the Camogie team who topped their group in the British mixed Intermediate/Senior league with a win and a loss in Birmingham. This sees them into the Semi Finals where they will play Fr. Murphy's. We wish them the best of luck.
Unfortunately it wasnt as good a weekend for our Ladies Footballers. Despite playing well they came out on the wrong side of the scoreline to Parnells.
Our u12s went to North London Shamrocks on Saturday where they played five games. Unfortunately we were short on numbers but the host and other participating clubs kindly loaned a few players so we completed all fixtures. Our team played some great football, winning three games in great battles against Gael London, Round Towers and St Clarets and losing two against North London Shamrocks and St Kiernan's. We're grateful for the support from the tams we played and look forward to fielding a full strength team in forthcoming fixtures.
Next weekend our Hurlers and Camogs are playing the Semi Finals of the Ronan Cup and the British Mixed League. We wish them both the best of luck and hope they can make it to the first finals of the year.
Our Annual Golf Day is taking place on the 17th June in Ilford Golf Club. It is £50 per person or £200 for a team of four. Breakfast and dinner will be provided on the day. Contact Jim McDermott on 07813 355776 to register your interest.
Training (Click on team name for more info):
- Mens Football: Tuesday & Thursday at 7.15pm in Goodmayes.
- Mens Hurling: Thursday & Thursday at 7.30pm in Goodmayes.
- Ladies Football: Tuesday at 7.00pm in West Ham and Thursday at 7.00pm in Goodmayes.
- Camogie: Wednesday at 7.00pm in West Ham.
- Underage: Hurling, Monday & Football, Wednesday at 6.45pm in Goodmayes.
- Mens Football: AIB Football League Division 3: Thomas McCurtains: 1-09, Dulwich Harps: 2-07.
- Camogie: British Mixed League: Thomas McCurtains: 1-00, John Mitchels: 1-07;
- Thomas McCurtains: 2-02, Croydon: 0-07.
- Mens Hurling: Ronan Cup: Thomas McCurtains: 0-09, Fulham Irish 0-08;
- AIB Hurling League Division 2: Thomas McCurtains: 1-16, St Declans 0-06.
- Ladies Football: Intermediate League: Thomas McCurtains: 0-04, Parnells 5-19.
- Mens Hurling: Ronan Cup, SF - Thomas McCurtains v Granuaille, Sunday 21st May 2017 at 12.00pm, Greenford.
- Camogie: British Mixed League SF - Thomas McCurtains v Fr. Murphys, Time/Date/Venue TBC.
- Golf Day - Saturday 17th June 2017, Ilford Golf Club.
- Thomas McCurtains Club Fun Day - Saturday 15th July 2017, Goodmayes.
New players are always very welcome to join our friendly club. We have Gaelic Football & Hurling teams for both men and ladies from u-8s up to Adults. We are based in East London; the club covers a wide area and current players live in many different areas, including, Gants Hill, Woodford, Leyton, Leytonstone, Stratford, Romford, Dagenham, Brentwood & Chelmsford as well as many other areas. Transport to and from training and pick-up from stations can be arranged, if required.
If you would like to join our club, please do not hesitate to contact:
- Mens Football: Martin Keyes: 07712 106 349
- Mens Hurling: Brian Ryan: 07851 164 119
- Ladies Football: Deirdre McArdle: 07523 109 547
- Camogie: Eoin Kelly: 07729 746 052
- Underage: Martin McGovern: 07807 830 556
U8/10 Managers - Martin Healy 07854739585 and Denis Doherty 07958432835
U12 Managers - Marc Daily 07824 837952 and Tim Sullivan 07764 658350
U14 Managers - John Moran 07946 031883 and Tim Sullivan 07764 658350
Hurling Manager - Marc Daily 07824 837952
Thomas McCurtains GAA Club would welcome coaching support in local schools and our training sessions.
Please check out Thomas McCurtain’s on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat and Instagram. Or drop us an email on email@example.com. We would be delighted to hear from you.